Sunday, March 08, 2015

The Ups and Downs of Having MY Brother

by Anouk

Brothers can be two things great or annoying. Never anything in the middle. Big brothers and little brothers can be very different and luckily I've only got one. He's bigger than me. But he's in puberty. And that's tough! It's tough for me. It's tough for the entire family. But it's mostly tough for me. So I'm going to tell you about the pros and cons about having MY brother.

First, I'll tell a few cons about living with MY brother:

1. Mood Swings. During puberty, if you catch him at the wrong time you'll be yelled at for a long time. The mood swings are weird. One moment he's happy and the next moment he's grumpy. It's like he's a machine with a switch. If you flick the switch, his moods change instantly. I have the same thing... but not as often!

2. Pranks. His pranks have become more frequent. They are also MORE annoying! Whenever I pass a doorway I flinch, thinking that he'll jump out and scare the poop out of me. And when I get mad at him, I get in trouble for yelling at him and he gets away Scott-free. Another one of his regular pranks is that he's telling amazing stories from school. When he sees that I'm in awe he'll say, "Just kidding" and then he'll laugh and make fun of me for begin so gullible.

3. He's Older. So he thinks he gets to be in charge when our parents aren't at home. He gets control of the TV, sometimes he tries to boss me around to do chores, or he'll say, "Won't you be a sweet little lamb and get me a glass of water" and I'm easily persuaded by his niceness. I can't blame him entirely for this one, but sometimes I just wish I remembered to grab the TV remote before doing the dishes. Then I'd be in control!!!

But... there are also a few pros to living with MY brother.

1. He's a Good Persuader. My brother has been around a few years longer than me so he has better persuading skills. He's good at negotiating a free dessert and he can almost always talk my dad in to a late night swim. He can convince me to play his stupid games with his stupid made-up rules. And he can almost always convince you to help do his chores.

2. He is a Laugh and a Half! When he's not in a bad mood, he'll laugh at anything. His favorite middle-schools words are: poop, tittle, and kaka. He has potty humor. He got it from my dad, but it usually makes us all laugh even if we shouldn't.

3.  He Teaches Life Lessons. Since he's older, he's in middle school first. And then he'll be in high school first. And then he'll be in college first. Since he has to do this stuff first, he tells me about it and then I'll have the upper hand when I go through it. I mean, I already know how much homework middle-schoolers get!

4. He Loves Me. Xavier cares about me a lot. One example of his love is when I was in a play last week. He didn't complain that he had to watch both nights! When we came home, he even sang the songs with me and gave me compliments on my make-up. Another way he shows he loves me is when our parents go out at night. Sometimes, I get scared and I get a pain in my stomach. But he gets me an ice-pack, makes me a toast or some tea, and tells me, "It's gonna be OK." He gives me the remote (though I usually turn on his channel).

As I said, brothers can be great or annoying. Nothing in the middle. But my brother is great about 51% of the time!




No comments: