Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Ouch... my back hurts!

Not my spine, but a pic
of the same issue I'm having
I have a pretty serious pain threshold. I guess that's why I walked around with a moderately herniated disc for over 3 weeks before I actually said anything to Rob. But when I couldn't walk two steps without crying, and I realized I had popped about 8 Tylenols before noon, it was time to come clean and see a doctor.

The thing about doctor's here is they don't know how to handle us westerners. Most Indonesians get nervous just by seeing us walk towards them. Often times the women behind the counter will run away or look down in hopes that we will walk away and not force them to help us in English. In any case, our school doctor hooked me up with his friend in the ER who got me an X-ray and some good drugs within an hour. It turns out I have a degenerative disc disease (which basically says that my 34-year-old self has the spine of someone twice my age) and I haven't taken care of my back issues since I was injured when I was 12. MAJOR oops!

But, when after a week, not much had changed it was time to go back for a 2nd look. They were convinced I needed an MRI. Rob went to the counter to pay a whopping $250 for my MRI and we were shocked at how the same test would cost nearly $2000. What a difference 9,000 miles makes. Anyway, after being coaxed by Rob, looking at the machine, and seeing that it was open at the top...I was ready and willing to enter what I have heard can be such an awful experience. But just seconds after the world and this mammoth machine started closing-in around me, I flipped out in a way I've never experienced. Apparently I'm claustrophobic. Great... now I've got ANOTHER issue to contend with.

So two weeks on, I've ignored all the Indonesian doctors (who think the only way to solve the problem is to cut me open and screw around with my spine... uh, NO!) and opted, instead to address the issues in alternative ways:
  • I'm seeing a doctor at the hospital 2-3 times per week for cold laser treatments which is supposed to help at the cellular level and (hopefully) release pain from the nerve;
  • I'm seeing a chiropractor (who is honestly a gift from God). He is trying to pull off the years of messy back issues I've incurred and is using an "activator" to adjust me get into tip-top shape;
  • I'm icing every hour for 15 minutes to reduce inflammation;
  • I've lost some weight by swimming and walking in the pool as often as possible (about 4 or 5 days a week), eating better, and doing specific stretches so I can get strong enough to start a new yoga and Pilate's plan;
  • I'm sleeping differently;
  • I'm reducing stress by quitting all of my additional committees and working 1/2 days at school until the pain ceases;
  • as well as about 30 other therapeutic activities that I won't bore you with.
So, all in all, I'm on the mend. Thanks for your prayers, well wishes, and support.

I promise, the next blog will be more positive and upbeat! But see.. I'm still smiling!

No comments: